Thursday, November 25, 2010

God I love America.....

for its free shipping and painless return policy....

My recent purchase from Ann Taylor Loft and Forever 21, a brand I  thought I would never ever put my feet in but was addicted to the first time when I visited its website.   
I live in New York ..State. People call it upstate New York. As a matter of fact, it is so up that I have to drive 6 hours to New York City. It also means that I enjoy zero benefits of zero sales tax of single item of clothing under $110 happening in NYC. I pay 8.875% of tax on clothing and have very limited choices. Luckily, there is a company called Times Warner Cable which connects me to the real world with a very unsteady service. Still, there are so many things which I can only buy when I am in city because they don't have online shopping. 

To continue my topic, I highly compliment on America's retail return policy. As long as the clothes are unworn with tags attached, you can return anything. Back in my home country, Far East so to say, return or exchange happens rarely and unpleasantly. It may involve some yelling or screaming. Once I bought a tank top and found a stint after going home. I went back to the store the next day and asked for an exchange. 

"I am sorry, we don't do any return or exchange." the salesperson said. 
"But I got it just yesterday." I said. 
"Yes, but WE DON"T DO RETURNS AND EXCHANGES IN OUR STORE." the salesperson started to look impatient. 
"OK, but look, here is a stint. I don't want a piece of clothes with a stint. I am not asking for a refund but only an exchange with the other one without stint!"  
"We have no idea if you got the stint yourself after you left the store. It was actually your responsibility to check if there was anything wrong before you bought the clothes." 
...................................BXXCH.................

God bless America. I never had any experience like this when I return anything. On the other hand, it is also THE reason why my bank account is not that happy. I bear the thought of "hey, I can return it if I don't like it. I am ordering just for a try-on" when I am online shopping or "I am not sure if I like this top that much but I better take it because small size may be gone soon and that woman has been checking at this piece after I got it. I better buy it now and return later so she cannot get it" when I am in store shopping. Miraculously, all of them stay in my closet forever; sometimes because I am too lazy to make the trip to return or sometimes I already knew the "if I don't like it I can return it" just an excuse to buy an expensive piece without feeling that guilty. 

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!! I am off to my Thanksgiving party! 

Zara dress
Jcrew belt
Urban Outfitter necklace
Ann Taylor Loft Shoes 






No comments:

Post a Comment