Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Body image

Real woman
 It's not the first time I heard about it but it got confirmed again recently - men don't like skinny women (forgive me, Asian men are not quite included here)!

WHAT?! WHAT THE HELL?

Growing up in Asia, this is my number one belief - the slimmer, the better. There is a solid example to back me up : the first sentence from a friend/relative who haven't seen you for a long time oftentimes is "you are slimmer/fatter/bigger/fuller-figured..."

Being judged fatter/fat is consider the ultimate insult, the person usually feels very hurt during the whole meetup and secretly plans for the revenge for the future. It's common knowledge that Asian girls want to look like below. Please, if you can clearly see the backbone, it's like the ultimate level.

from Boise Weekly


My belief fell apart after I moved to US.The first year in graduate school I reached a historical high at my weight. Basically because I lived on king- sized sneakers and TGI Fridays potato chips. I used to wear long sweaters all the time because I couldn't close my jeans zippers. Guess what?! According to my male friends - I conveyed a healthy and sexy body image. Those years were my prime time.

In the beginning when I went out with my boyfriend, he loved the way how I ate. Basically I finished all the food you put in front of me. Moreover, even when I was at my heaviest, my bf still thought I was on skinny side. Years after, I slimmed down naturally because of work stress and others; the weight issue becomes a constant battle between us.

"You should eat more. You are like a matchstick! No, a toothpick!" (He must secretly read my Jcrew catalog; otherwise how is he familiar with the lingo?) 

Since I already knew my bf's political opinions, I don't bother to ask him, so I went to my male friends including Americans, Europeans, Asian Americans and Asians. 70% of them told me "they prefer slightly fuller than skinny ones for sure!" 20% of them said "Skinny is very cool!" 10% "Doesn't matter, as long as she has a pretty face!"

Cool thanks guys!

P.S. I have been feeling not well for a short period. Covering up and soaking salt water is my survival kit.


GAP sweater, Theory white shirt
Big chunky sweater, Anlo jeans
Kenneth Cole platforms

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Although I'm Caucasian everytime I go home to visit my family I get the "you look fatter/thinner/fuller..." line as well. It makes me want to scream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just have to be happy with yourself really :) Lovely blog!

    The Flower Girl

    thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, i think u r such a beautiful woman! soo pretty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great. As far as weight and image, I think that as long as people are healthy, they should be comfortable with their bodies (unfortunately this is obviously not the case)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot! Did I mention you guys made my day?

    ReplyDelete